Monday, January 21, 2008

Christy has a birthday.








My friend at work decided to get a year older and so I decided to bake. We all cope in different ways. Christy getting a year "wiser" reminded me that my birthday is just two weeks away and, while looking forward to celebrating, it's never easy to admit I'm growing up.

For Christy's B-day I asked her what her fav. cake was. She is an honest, clean-living yellow cake with chocolate frosting kind of girl. That I could handle! I had a hard time deciding how to make a yellow cake and still add glamour. Unlike Christy I am not satisfied with the purity of the yellow cake. So I made a yellow pound cake with lots of sour cream and density and then added cream cheese and dark choc. ganache filling to her simple eden. I can't leave it alone..... have to eat the apple...

It was fun and it came out pretty. Pretty is the hard part for me so I'm glad I did it. She seemed happy and I was touched that she liked it so well.

Albie, in true 2 year old form, had a very hard time with the idea that all of the cake was walking out the door to go to mommy's work. So Albie got a little "scraps" cake of his own with left-over batter and cream cheese filling on top. He requested sprinkles and lo-and-behold! The cupboard provided!