Thursday, January 31, 2008

Salmon Cakes


My mother in law has given me many excellent recipes that my husband and I like and my son will actually eat! I believe her mother, a 90 year old firecracker of a Polish woman, passed this to her. I don't know where Grandma got it but I know we like it! This is a "fish cake". You can use Salmon from a can or a packet, smoked salmon or even tuna. Any minced or flaked fish will do. It's traditionally done with Salmon so that is how I'll write it up.

Salmon Cakes

1 1/2 c flaked canned salmon (no bones or bits
1-2 eggs
1 small white onion, diced
bread or cracker crumbs
salt and pepper to taste

Peanut oil for frying.

Mix salmon, egg, onion and salt and pepper together. Add as much crumb as needed to make it stick together and form patties well. Form patties and fry in skillet with about 1/8" of medium-high heat peanut oil. Flip and fry after cooking side turns golden brown.

Serve with your favorite sauces. Here are a few suggestions:

Dill and Lemon Sauce
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
2 tablespoons minced fresh dill weed
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

In a small bowl mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, parsley, Dijon mustard, dill weed, lemon juice, salt, and pepper; cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.

Tartar Sauce (any is great!)

Ketchup (I know... YUCK! But this is way my husband grew up eating it and he swears by it)

No comments: