Monday, March 10, 2008

Pulled Chicken Soft Tacos

A long time ago I was a child with a single working mother. She had a trusted crock pot that got plenty of use and I'm sure helped her to make the best use of time. Long after my mom had met the man of her dreams, my dad for most of my life, we were still eating crock pot concoctions. Actually, I think my dad may have brought this kitchen gadget to an art form with amazing slow cooked turkey legs and smokey flavored pork chops floating in the vapors of my childhood memories.

I have long forgotten the slow cooker in my cooking and I don't know why! So today I found a cook book in the depths of my cupboards that is full of slow-cooker recipes. I recommend this book Fix-it and Forget-it Lightly by Phyllis Pellman Good.
I chose to try out the Chicken Soft Tacos. It was very simple. It may have been one of the quickest meals I've made since I had a family. I want to share it with those of you who may not always have the time for home cooking or adding all fresh ingredients. This recipe calls for canned tomatoes with chilies and pre-mixed taco seasoning. It just can't get easier than this. It's a true shout to the era of the convenience cooking, but with a healthier take.

Pulled Chicken Soft Tacos:
1-1 1/2 lbs. frozen, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
14 1/2 oz. can low-sodium diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 envelope low-sodium taco seasoning
Place frozen chicken breasts in slow cooker. Mix tomatoes and taco seasoning. Pour over chicken. Cover. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Serve in warmed soft tortillas. Top with salsa, low-fat shredded cheddar cheese, guacamole and fresh tomatoes.
I am not a huge fan of pre-mixed powders and spices, so if you would like to make your own taco seasonings here is what I do:
Taco Seasoning:
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
DIRECTIONS
In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.

No comments: